Wisconsin Apprenticeship offers pre-apprenticeship training programs to help Veterans, returning Service members and National Guard Service members acquire the basic skills needed to start rewarding careers. An apprenticeship is an “earn while you learn” program providing on-the-job training and related instruction.
- Combat to Construction: A nine week heavy equipment operator training program sponsored by Operating Engineers Local Union 139, including:
- Three weeks of classroom learning at the Operating Engineers training facility in Coloma, WI
- Six weeks of on-the-job learning with a union employer in a participant’s home region
Combat to Construction Brochure
- Veterans in Piping : An 18-week pipe trades training program sponsored by the Wisconsin Pipe Trades Association, including:
Wisconsin Apprenticeship Training Representative Directory
Learn more about the Wisconsin Veterans Apprenticeship Program
Wisconsin Hire Heroes, Transitional Jobs Program for Veterans: The Hire Heroes Transitional Jobs Program for Veterans offers local businesses access to subsidized Veteran employees to help Veterans with high barriers to employment gain job skills needed for long-term sustainable employment.
Veterans can enter subsidized employment for up to 1,040 hours to gain new or updated skills through on-the-job training. Employers will be reimbursed federal minimum wage while they train eligible Veterans.
To be eligible, Veterans must meet these requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Veteran, as defined under Wisconsin Statutes 45.01(12)
- Applied to the program no later than seven years after the date of discharge from U.S. Armed Forces
- Not eligible to participate in the Wisconsin Works Program
- Unemployed for at least four weeks
- Satisfy all requirements related to substance abuse screening, testing, and treatment.
Veterans should contact their local Wisconsin Job Center for more information and enrollment information.
Hire Heroes, Wisconsin Transitional Jobs Program for Veterans Application
Learn more about the Wisconsin Hire Heroes, Transitional Jobs Program for Veterans
Leave a Reply